Thursday, February 10, 2005

Expressing yourself........its a birthright guys!!

On my mind : Memories
Music : None

Never had such a terrible day since many years I think. Got some very bad news from Bangalore the first thing in the morning . Someone who is a very close relative expired. Being sad is an issue but what I hate is this helpless and desperate feeling. So had no mood to put up a post on my blog...but this seems to be going on everywhere. So here goes my views.....
Freedom of expression, does it exist at all?? Even if we have the freedom to express we still worry what the listener would think of us. I agree that its better to think twice or even a hundred times when it drops down to expressing ourselves at a personal level but otherwise I would rather feel more uncomfortable, uneasy and tied up when I cannot express what I think. Freedom exists only in text books.....never has it come to life. All of us at some point or another give into the perseverance of the society. How far should this go? Should we live for the society or for ourselves? My mother would often say ' what will they think?' and I would ask her 'what would who think Mii?' She has stopped that now to a certain extent simply because she knows that I dont care for people who dont matter in my life.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sad news.. In my opinion a blog is meant to vent out our feelings and emotions.. Words have their own way of capturing things..

Freedom! Everyone speaks about it.. we listen! It does exist but only in shades of grey.. You can live without a care for the world or society.. But temporarily sometimes.. you just have to relent. That guy I talked about.. could stand to lose one whole year just bcoz he committed the crime of expressing himself!!

Archana Ramesh said...

True...All of us give in when situation arises!

Archana Ramesh said...

Different perspectives! ;)

Unknown said...

@Sheeshers- I think you missed the point here! Here nobody's becoming a savage.. You do have a right to register a protest in a society. Don't you? And if even that is taken away from you what do you do?

Hypocrisy is when an "annoyance" denigrates everything under the sun. But you are not supposed to even utter a word! The pervert goes about snooping into student's blogs and makes an issue out of it. What would you call it?

Archana Ramesh said...

Its not 'HYPOCRISY' if we give a damn when we dont care at all as we are left with no other choices...its because we are forced to give a 'damn' though we dont care. As you said we live as a society and not for the society. Adjusting to co-exist biologically is not the concern here....the concern is to express oneself exactly the way he/she feels in the society. I would call it "hypocrisy" if I cannot stand up for what I think or believe. 'Hypocrisy' for me is when I 'put up' or 'adjust' blindly without questioning the society. [...this does not include the the matter of existence]

Archana Ramesh said...

That one was for Sheeshers....

Nupur said...

Sorry to hear of your loss!

Take care girl, I can understand the helplessness as I went through the same thing last month.But life has to go on....

Unknown said...

@Archana- Well said!

Anonymous said...

I think its pure human psychology....each of us treat the world like the way we would like to be treated by the world. Every human behavior boils down to this simple rule. So if you care a damn what the whole world thinks/does, you expect the same in return. How far each one of us stretch freedom of expression is subjective. Or am I wrong?

Archana Ramesh said...

Nupur,
Thanks. Life just goes on ... it never waits or stops for anyone to catch up!

Anonymous,
Ahem.....human psychology,each of us treat the world the way we would like to be treated....exactly!! If we dont give a damn to all the 'mindless matters' the world thinks then we get the same in return i.e, the world wouldnt care for our 'mindless matters'. Tell me, why would we want the world to give a damn even if it doesnt care?? Is that not hypocrisy? Is that being pretentious?

Unknown said...

@Sheeshers - "Difference of opinion". Precisely that's what we are trying to emphasise.. And once you are willing to accomodate that.. there is no acrimony..If only ppl understood that!

:-)

Archana Ramesh said...

Hi Utkarsh,
Ultimately it depends upon us to take the decision......either one can go against his/her own mind to be what everyone is and bow to the society or be brave enough to be someone special, someone who can follow their hearts and not the rules whenever one feels he/she is right....