Thursday, June 23, 2005

The trip

Original plan : Leave on 19th early morning-visit Edinburgh-stay there for a day and night-proceed to Glasgow-stay there another day-move further north to Fort William-conquer Ben Nevis-stay for two nights- travel the next day in the Jacobite train to Mallaig- if possible visit the Hebrides [the north-west islands]

What happened : We did travel to Edinburgh and Glasgow but had to return by the very first train on 21st afternoon due to some very unavoidable circumstances.....I always ponder upon these words "unavoidable circumstances" on what they could mean, now I know it :(Anyways, I'll let your imaginations run wild on this one :P

Scotland is an awesome place and I did'nt quite expect anything from its capital Edinburgh. My jaws dropped down the moment I stepped out of the Waverly station. Could any other city be more picturesque and artisic? People even call it 'the Athens of the North'! Your Scot trip would be so incomplete if you didnot visit Edinburgh. I've visited London a few times now [I know comparing aint good] but I definitely like it better than London. Heritage flows along with nature here.....the Scot monument located in the beautiful gardens of city centre, the museums and art galleries in between, the church [I think its St.George's] and the graveyard next to that looks breathtaking [I dont know why, but my jaws dropped for the second time and a "Wowww....its so beautiful" sang out of my mouth when I saw the grave yards there...] The castle built on top of a hill overlooks the city and is adjacent to the gardens. There is a place called DYNAMIC EARTH, a must visit which has the backdrop of Arthur's seat[a small but elegant green rocky mountain]. Climb up the Arthur's seat in the morning to get an fantastic view of the Lothians. Around the city there are more places like Hopetoun house [which looks to be used in the movie Yaadein].Travelling in train around Scotland is the best option so that you never take your eyes off the window. The one I liked the most was the route from Darlington to Edinburgh via North Berwick [where the sand on the beach shines with the sun]....its over a cliff beside the sea and I hope you get an idea of what it would look like :)
Glasgow is another city 50 minutes west of Edinburgh and I did not find anything exceptional there except the lighted house....well girls might like it much cos they dont call it the shopping capital of UK without a reason!

Note : I would love to put some pictures on the blog but unfortunately something is wrong with the USB of my camera. The pictures work on the camera but the camera appears unplugged to the computer whenever I connect it. The batteries are full, I double checked the Nikon guide but its of no use. I checked the settings of the camera too and the pictures are not hidden. I will be grateful if someone could help me out :( The camera is a Nikon 4100, about an year old :(

23 comments:

Unknown said...

hmm.. so started making gud use of your lonnnnng vacation.. As for the camera better take out the memory card and use a card reader..

Archana Ramesh said...

and that I'll get when I'm back in India....the trip was nice one turned disaster! So no good use yet:(

Unknown said...

Disaster?? Why??

nku said...

Good for you! :) Looks like you had a nice time save that unavoidable incident! Anyways, there is always a next time to catch up with the other places!

Art said...

Wow!!! ur description is too good... Have seen quite a few pics which my friends sent... Hope ur camera problem is solved soon as u upload the pics as soon as possible... :)

Chiru said...

Did you see the thistle?

Abhi said...

You describe all those lovely places in rather lovely words.You get me all imagining and longing to see all those places.Then you describe how ur camera has conked off.Height of cruelty.

Vasu the terrible said...

have some wholesome fun and enjoy your vacation...

dammm you, dont want to see your post for the next "x" days...

go take a break... you deserve it..

vasu

Archana Ramesh said...

Sumit..
It was all nice and nice but had to cut it short....better not put on a blog :)

Shee-shoo..
Yep I'm safe...and sound :D Scotland is just about 200 miles away. Infact we are actually planning another trip there. Thank you :D

Archana Ramesh said...

NKU,
Yes thats true...besides such incidents can always happen. It does not matter. I had good fun there :)

Art,
Thank you :) I hope the camera gets better too....I'm praying for a miracle here!!:D

Chiru,
What thistle? The plant??

Archana Ramesh said...

Vagabond,
I'll put up the pictures soon [except for the camera blow off]

Vasu,
and x=0 I suppose??!! but you've been to Honnemardu too!

Vivhyd said...

Archu.. I really hope I get to see England, Scotland etc.. sometime.. I am sure it is beautiful out there as u have described too...

as for the camera.. perhaps the cable went bad.. sometimes this happens but it starts working after sometime.. either this or cable's gone (assuming the usb of ur pc is good etc..) try getting a card reader else..

ada-paavi!!!! said...

it must have been fun, why din u visit ireland? at northern ireland? good alcohol avaliable there i heard.why dont u travel by road rather than train? (u cant c the atmostphere in train, and road means u can stop at various places of ur choice, drive thru fields, generally driving is alone gud enuf reason for me,)

now it one of my dreams to make a road trip around indiaatlesat on a bike a bullet to be precise(car means i dont soak in the atmosphere),

Chiru said...

yeah.. the plant...only thing i knew about scotland.. dunno the exact reason but Scotland seems to be associated with thistle so much..get some thistles when u come bak :)

Archana Ramesh said...

Vivhyd,
England may get boring. All the cities look the same....same old brown grey buildings, the same gloomy sky and the same castles! Scotland is the place you've got to visit. Yes, I think the cable is worn out :)

Srivatsan,
I would love to visit Ireland too...specially Belfast and the surrounding areas. Scotch and whisky heritage in Scotland.....wanted some??? I could travel by road. But I'm 18 and I have my license. Here they need an insurance cover on me which is way too expensive. We did try to rent a car in Scotland but they say I cannot drive until I'm 23 :(( You go ahead make your trip and enjoy !! lucky you!

Archana Ramesh said...

Chiru,
Thistle has a long story behind it....It was the saviour of the kingdom. You want me to get that thorny plant for you?? Its tooo dangerous!!

Chakra said...

Edinburgh is a very beautiful city.. been there twice and wouldn't mind moving there if I get a job there. Very picturesque.

Archana Ramesh said...

Smyts,
Now it looks connected on the computer but there are no files in the folder :((
Goodluck, where have you disappeared??


Chakra,
Oh I would love to move there too....If only I get into the University there for free :(

Vasu the terrible said...

ya... you are right... I think for maintaining good quality blog, one nees to spend some quality time off it..

what say ?

anyway I hit 30 yesterday. looks like 30 hit me...

never had a more interesting birthday...

vasu

Archana Ramesh said...

Yes Vasu.....thats true.
I know I'm kind of late but still.......happy birthday!!

Chiru said...

Do u know which place in India is called Scotland of India? I am visiting it tomorrow and will write about it in my blog when i come back from the trip..

Archana Ramesh said...

Chiru,
I'll wait for it :)

Arun said...

umm... scotland is in my list too, like many many other places :) Waiting for pics. Hope you can take a longer holiday sometime soon.. :)