Sunday, March 13, 2005

Dual life

On my mind : blank
Music : Yuva....A.R. Rahman

Jitters revolving in my head, the same mixed emotions that I experienced the last time I was leaving for India. I am glad that I am coming to my home country where I always belong but there is a feeling of leaving something behind. It is pretty strange that I miss India when in England and I miss England when in India. England has taught me , in my case, how to live life , whereas India has given me that life. Life is certainly what we make of it and here, I am learning how to be myself. I have a sense of freedom and independence here which would have required another 6 or 7 years in India. A normal family in our society may not send their 18 yr old 'DAUGHTER' out of the country, all alone, to study. I am not saying that my family is abnormal but people around ask my parents, I am told, "How could you send your daughter to study there?? All alone?? Are you not scared??" Hey......scared of what?? Anyways, I am grateful to my parents that they sent me here, though they were skeptical about my idea at first....They knew the 'stubborn me'!!
It is just a vacation of about 5 weeks now, but one fine day, I will wake up in the morning realising that I have achieved what I wanted......and this will be the day that I pack my bags and head home forever.....as I have it in mind, this day should come within the next 4 or 5 years. A very wise friend whom I met here quoted the last time I was leaving for India, "All of us who leave home with an intention to go back have two lives. It is the same for you....you have one life here and you have another life there". This life is temporary, this country is always a second home.....never a first one!

5 comments:

Nupur said...

You goin to India???!!!!!!
:(

I am sooooooooooooo homesick.. and I know that I cant go home till the end of the year... *boooohooooo!!!! :(((( *

------------
But you have a great time gurl..!!
It is our good luck and bad luck all at the same time that we get to experience life away from home and we have to sacrifice the spending time with family and friends.....
Oh....I am in a very depressed mood now....

:((

Archana Ramesh said...

Hugs Nupur....Cheer up :D

Sheeshers, no offense..I am strong about my feelings and you are strong about yours :)

Unknown said...

Guess everybody moving home this month.. A gud number of my frndz also are heading home for Holi.. Hopefully will catch up with them!

All the best!! :-)

Chakra said...

things that many indians feel while living outside... thinking abt the objectives to be met, milestones to cross and then the biggest - returning to dear india. I have seen for many that its one of the toughest & emotional decisions to make a choice between the two homes.

Good luck to you and my best wishes for a very happy journey. Enjoy your holidays!!

Parth said...

The quintessential NRI conundrum. Welcome to the club.