Friday, May 27, 2005

Ooops...I'm sorry I said that!

Hypocrisy and double standards to the core-
If US President's cat can be named INDIA, if the avatars of Hindu Gods and Godesses can be printed on shoes and t-shirts that are nothing but misused in pubs and on beaches, then why not call America the middle finger? It is of the same magnitude.....I'm not anti-American but whats taken has to be given back. Just as they said....it all depends on the way you take it :P

"Following my remarks to the graduating class of Columbia University's Business School in New York City, I have come to realize that my words and examples about America unintentionally depicted our country negatively and hurt people.

I appreciate the honest comments that have been shared with me since then, and am deeply sorry for offending anyone. I love America unshakably -- without hesitation -- and am extremely grateful for the opportunities and support our great nation has always provided me.

"Over the years I've witnessed and advised others how a thoughtless gesture or comment can hurt good, caring people. Regrettably, I've proven my own point. Please accept my sincere apologies."-- Indra Nooyi

If this is the explanation she provided after the speech, if she's taken back what she'd said earlier, then I take back my support too! If Mrs.Indra is not standing by what she said, then the woman is a hypocrite [sorry Ma'm ...I did not mean to offend or hurt you too!! Uh....what the hell?!?!!] Apparently, some narrow minded Americans have decided to boycott the purchase of any Pepsi co's products until she's fired. And I say what? She must be fired because she's not ready to stand by her own words! Just when I was thinking 'she's made me proud'....

12 comments:

ada-paavi!!!! said...

just because bush the rascal names his dog india, doesnt mean that indians have to repeat the same treatment to the americans, then what difference is there between them and us? i always thought we were more civilised as a population and should understand that his actions are a sign of the immaturity found in americans. but i agree with u that indra nooyi should stand by what she says, seems like money means more to her than what she says.

Archana Ramesh said...

Hey!
I checked it. India is the name of his cat! Not saying that India should call America names.....but when an Ex-Indian? calls it that, then why not stand by it?
Thanks for stopping over!

Unknown said...

Uncle Sam preaches tolerance to the world.. but when it comes down to it..they are the first ones to take offence..

ada-paavi!!!! said...

uncle sam doesnt preach tolerance, they preach that the world should listem to them, and follow their form of government, lifestyle even religion. but if the world went the american way, it wud be the end of the world. it should be remembered that its cause of countries like india, china that USA exists, and only because of asian cuontries that the us dollar has some value, they should be thankful for that.

Archana Ramesh said...

Game,
dOoD? Dont know what the equivalent term for 'female' is?

Sumit,
I agree with you. They insist us to do that and this...but hey, in most cases preachers dont follow!

Srivatsan,
American govt. preaches peace and tolerance to the whole world but they donot follow. Strange....I've never seen Americans preaching their way of government, lifestyle or even religion. They least care about it. We follow it blindly.We copy their Americanised ways of living. We have our own "MIND" and we can think by ourselves. So why copy them and blame them that they preach us their lifestyle? Misconception and prejudice, I should say. If USA exists because of Asian countries like India and China, then we too exist because of them. Its mutual! Every country is dependant on another.

ada-paavi!!!! said...

the preaching of a country\regions culture lifestyle etc doesnt happen openly, its always done subtely,its never open, india never wanted Coke, americans arm-twisted us into drinking Coke in 91,its a big issue and there is a lot to explain..more on that later.

Unknown said...

Hey Archana,
I didnt know u were so strong in your expressions. (not that I dint expect u to be)

Archana Ramesh said...

Smyta,
Thanks maga [female term anyone?!] ;)Naanu adanne helthaa iddini.
Next time varegu,
Majaa maadi :D

Srivatsan,
Coke? Ok lets assume that "Americans"
"arm-twisted" us into drinking coke. We are the one's who are following the legacy...though we need not.We drink coke more because we like it, not because Americans forced us to do so. As Sheeshers said, look at the no. of fast food joints that are springing up in India. Americans did not preach us to que up and eat at McDonalds and KFC. All I'm saying is I think its not right to blame Americans for forcing westernism on us. We hugged it with open arms.

Vasu,
I dont know!!For things I believe in....I go all the way. Sometimes I wonder whether I need to stick to my limits, whether what I said was right or wrong. But then, I'm willing to change:)

Archana Ramesh said...

Smyts,
Life itself inspires creatures like us, doesnt it?

Archana Ramesh said...

Shee-shoo,
Point noted!! I'll be studying Political Science in correspondence to my Medical Engineering starting this September;) I was expecting everyone to be nice and simple on a lovely planet called earth....I'm not realistic, am I?

ada-paavi!!!! said...

its gud to hear that u also wish to make ur life meaninful. i mean wen i am old id like to think tht ihave touched someones life in some manner or the other(cliche, but still tats the way i feel) and my life has a meaning beyond the ritualistic issues of survial.

BZ said...

hey not offending the blog but
female form of Dude is Dudette... for Game guy.

Dont understand this blog havent read it properly yet. :)