Tuesday, May 10, 2005

When things go wrong............blame it on time!

This happened when I missed my flight.....As usual, almost every person that I can recognise, blessed me with their presence the day I was leaving Bangalore again. These included my maternal and paternal grandmothers, my aunts and uncles, a lot of cousins - everyone were at home the previous day itself! Our home was nothing less than a convection hall. Evening flight...no hassles...woke up late, did bits and pieces of packing left from the previous night. I am accustomed to wearing a 'saree' [national costume] and visiting a temple before leaving home. I did so and got plenty and plenty of compliments. I head out for the temple and realised that someone important has "borrowed" MYYY CAR!! I am very much attached to my car .... I love it...I mean, how can I leave home without saying 'goodbye' to my car?? I yell out loudly..."I am not going back without looking at my car!!" Okay...after some consolation from my mother, I catch an autorickshaw and go to the temple. It has been a perfect start until now and guess whats more?!! The temples were all closed at 5:30 in the evening. I return back home dissatisfied. My father arrives and we all leave for the airport ONTIME! God knows what went wrong! The flight which usually leaves at 9:30 is rescheduled to 9:15. After bidding tearful final goodbyes, I check in at 8:25. The guy at the check-in counter says "No Maa'm you are too late to check-in your luggage!" So, I've missed a flight....
Tears were pouring out of my eyes after Dad scolded me for accurately 50 minutes on our way back. I came back home only to see NO ONE ELSE BLAME ME! That was a blessing...thanks to all the ELDERLY and WISE people at home. They blamed the tragedy on time itself and these were the reasons :

1 . Exactly a week before all the pictures [of God Almighty] in our small little pooja room fell off....and nobody was in the pooja room at that moment!
2. I was wearing a blue coloured saree and as my aunt said "Its not your fault...dont worry!! Kisiki nazar lag gayee"
3. I should not have said "I am not leaving without looking at my car"...because I said it at the wrong time and also because I happen to have a few moles on my tongue. This means that if I say something then it is going to come true!!
4. The temples were closed.....this is another reason!
5. My grandmother had terrible dreams the night before...

Well, I am not a person who believes in superstitions. In normal conditions, I speak up against them. But time was against me.....what could I do? I just nodded my head to everything they said!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

when the culprit is the airliner who re-scheduled the flight by 15 mins without notice to you why would u blame on the 5 things which do not even have the remote connection to u missing the flight.
I am happy to learn that u had worn ur blue saree so well that it could have attracted people's nazar.
According to me, it is one thing to be pious or religious and another to be superstitious; they are not mutualy complementary or supplementary.

Archana Ramesh said...

The culprit is both the airline and me! Yes...the airport too!! The airline did not make any announcements because there isnt any such facility at the International terminal in the BANGALORE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. Had they made an announcement then I wouldnot have missed the flight.

I am myself amazed at how well some of our elders blend religion and supersitions together though they are not connected at all. At the end of the day, it were those things that were blamed...not me, not the airline or the airport.

Parth said...

Were you catching a flight or going to war? :-) Personally, I like to check in and settle into the flight as soon as possible (the tearful stream of drop-offers notwithstanding). But then, my vision isn't blurred by tears either at airports :-)

Unknown said...

Superstitions.. Jeez today somethng similar happened. I was waxing eloquent abt the reliability of my new Honda and guess what? It won't start in the morning! LOL.

Abhi said...

now I find the perfect use for our indian heritage of superstitions.dont blame me , blame them fr my not getting into IIT , for me getting a C grade in financial accounting , for me crashing the bike the other day..n best of luk fr the next time u fly.no blue saree , eh ?

Unknown said...

@vagabond - waise sometimes its easy to blame it on the unknown. Why sweat over the small stuff. IIT..?? well thats true for every non IIT engr.

Archana Ramesh said...

Parth,
I supposed that I was catching a flight but I was proved otherwise. I dont like to check in and wait for the flight...I hate waiting!!!I'd rather withstand the stream of tears....but I've learnt my lesson.

Sumit,
We all know that you are having a great time at home with the Honda by your side.....Dont make me envy you!! Enjoy!!!:P

Vagabond,
No blues, no sarees....not now!! As Sumit said and as I read it somewhere.....DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF, EVERYTHING IS SMALL STUFF,SO DONT SWEAT, TAKE IT EASY!!! Easy on the bike aswell!!! :D

Chakra said...

u chck in just an hr before the flight? isn't that a close shave??

hey.. i think u travelled by SL. i normally travely by SL.. did they simply let u in another day or did they charge u for that. ur experience might help.

Archana Ramesh said...

Chakra,
Right....!! My experience would help you but gosh...someone'e experience would have helped me too!!!!!
Anyways, 1)check-in before 2 hours!
2) they are not going to charge to reschedule the tickets for another day....its a big risk though! You will have to wait for the availibility of seats and it may take days or weeks even. Hence, donot miss the flight!
3)Confirm your tickets [specially if its SL] twice or thrice the previous day...else chances are that they will sell your ticket to another passenger.

Archana Ramesh said...

Sheeshers,

Damn!!!! You should have told me that you spilled juice in your car and that you did not water the lawn right?! I would not have wasted my time travelling to the airport!!

Unknown said...

Archana,
I guess its time for your next post