Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Siblings and me!

I love having my younger brother and sister, who wouldnt? If you're born in those new nuclear families, guys...you dont know what you're missing.... My handsome-hunky brother is 5 years younger than me aand my precious-darling-dumsy sister is 10 years younger than me. The first thing I remember of having done to my brother is stuffing a piece of cloth into his mouth to stop him from crying.....my Mi was probably in the shower, Dad was working, I was at home and he was crying.....now dont expect lullabies from a 5 year old me! Thankfully Mi came out of the shower in time to stop me from going to prison [would they prison a 5 yr old girl for killing her brother?] ....seems all scary while writing this actually.....

Moving to my sister, I've got a lot of memories from her...cos I was older at the time of her birth! I can remember holding her in my arms when she was born, oh how I couldnt wait and how tiny she was! Her tiny hands and her tiny feet....she clutched my little finger everytime I placed it in her hand! She looked adorable....ADORABLE....unlike now ofcourse! I remember scowling at Mi and almost hitting grandmom for making her cry during her first shower at home.....I was holding that soft white towel for her after her bath and she was so warm and nice and wet when she was put into my arms. I used to dress her up, the J&J baby cream, the talcum powder, the designs I used to make with the shringaar kaajal on her forehead and her cheek ! It initially became my duty to perform aarthi late in the night [the one with turmeric powder and betel leaf] to ward off evil eyes from effecting her! I used to run to her as soon as I returned from school....I couldnt stop talking about her at school....she was on display the first time Mi came with her to school to pick me up....I taught her how to hug and how to kiss....we used to have these practice sessions where she used run to me from the backyard to the front door, where I would be sitting on my knees, to hug me and kiss me! I was soooo scared the first time she fell ill....I really thought she was dying!!!! I mean babies are so delicate.....Chinnu was only 4 months old when she had this terrible fever. I even remember crying that day, begging other parents at the clinic to let me and Mi to see the doctor first..... Why am I writing this? The purpose of the post seems lost!

Right....few days ago, when Mi called, she, as usual started complaining about how my brother is irresponsible about his studies, how he doesnt attend any of his tutorials regularly and how she suffers from an head ache everyday watching him play 'the Sims' on PS2. Again, as always, she asked me to talk to him.....persuade him to concentrate on his studies.....Ahem, this is one of those duties as an elder sister.... [the conversation takes place in Kannada [slang ofcourse], but I've tried my best to give it an equivalent English translation!]

Me : hmm....how are you sweet son?
Him: Umm...I'm ok!
me : Mi's complaining that you're not studying!
Him: She's lying! I just came back from that tutorial....I go there even if I dont understand a thing that [dabba] guy teaches!
me : You go there because your love [or dove if you may!] Aishwarya goes there! [Aishwarya is his classmate cum friend cum crush]
Him: eh..?? Who who? Miss Rai doesnt study in my class anymore...
me : [switching the topic] Did you like Mortal Kombat?
Him: I cant tell you how super it is!
me : good! Abt studies and about tutorials......do what you feel like....just follow your heart!
Him: yeah......ok....


Next day....
Mi : You terrible girl, what did you do?
Me : What did I do?
Mi : What did you tell your brother yesterday?
Me: What did I tell him?
Mi : He's abandoned his tutorials cos you asked him to follow his heart!!!!
Me: Huh???? [seriously, I had a 'way to go brother!!!!' expression on my face and I couldnt be more proud of him!]

9 comments:

Parth said...

:-) You seem like an ideal sibling to me!

Archana Ramesh said...

:D....

Unknown said...

Wow.. "follow ur heart!!" the magic words every kid longs to hear.. but never gets to hear them ..untill its quite too late.. though its usually too late by the time one grasps the true sense of these words.. quite a paradox..

:D

Archana Ramesh said...

:))....my parents have never asked me to follow my heart, never actually! and nobody infact....
its nice when you can advocate your own theories on someone!! :D

Jo said...

Haha... How hard I wish if I had a sis like you!! :-D

Chiru said...

Ah.. how sweet.. To have a sibling five and ten year younger seems to be exciting.. But to have sis just two years younger is even more exciting..

nice suggestion to ur brother..

Archana Ramesh said...

Jo,
:D...

Chiru,
two, five or ten....to have someone in the family other than you..... :) :)

Jagan said...

ha ha ..nice one . i was laughing abt stuffing clothes to make ur bro stop crying :)

Archana Ramesh said...

laughing? he cud have died!