Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Give me a break!!!

I've got issues.....serious problems with people who actually live where they live and yet complain about it crossing their limits. Not getting it?? Its about Bangalore and yes, you're reading a fanatic's views. Unfortunately there's been a lot spoken about how poor Bangalore is, how bad the infrastructure is etc etc everywhere and I'm growing sick of it. Some amount of criticism is alright but criticism shouldnt be of the sort that undermines what the city has provided to you. These are what I actually read /was told[I'll refrain from mentioning any names/URLs]:
1. Bangalore is stupid [I was confused whether to laugh or shout about with anger]
2. Bangalore sucks [again the same]
3. Kannada, the language, is third class [I swear that this one is true....though it happened sometime ago]
4.Bangalore is not a place fit for anyone to stay
5. Bangalore is developing backwards

Whilst the third one has got nothing to do with this post, I did mention it "kyunki woh baat seede dil tak pahoonch gayi"! But seriously, it did prick my heart :( Next post on that one
Bangalore is a very very very young city just incase you havent noticed. Sure there is a history to back 'Bendakaalooru' but Bangalore doesnt have one. Not much attention was given on the city by the union government about 12/13 years ago. It was just another city...and infact it still is. Even Vidhana Soudha has a history of just about 50 years, being built in 1954. The first flight was operated in 1940 out of the BIA .Bangalore started its development only after Information Technology showed up. If you've lived here in Bangalore during this time, you'd understand what I'm talking about. In just a short span of about 13/14 years, the development that has taken place, the international recognition obtained is nothing short of a remarkable achievement.
I agree that the infrastructure is poor but consider the number of people moving into the city. Was Bangalore prepared for such a robust growth? No less than often, I too complain about the traffic woes, the pollution problems, the roads etc but I was wondering how the government would actually put an end to the traffic problems. Good roads? A number of flyovers? Under-passes? a number of traffic policeman? If none of us follow the traffic rules, the traffic problems are never going to end and finally, Bangalore would be needing a policeman for each one of us.
Enough of that...I'm not going to deviate from what I actually wanted to say. Criticism of the like 'sucks', 'stupid' and 'third class' and exaggerated mails containing quotes of different executives is certainly not what the city you live in, or better to describe it as the one that gives you food to eat, Bangalore, deserves. Give me a break please.....and oh yes! Give 'Banglore' a break.....it surely needs one!!

19 comments:

Raju PP said...

U just inspired me to write smtg for my post archana :)
I see lotsa people pointing fingers at the infrastructure.. but i wud like to ask them, wat they are doing for this city?? rather than just crib n foul mouth abt the city :|:|:|
and abt kannada... lemme wait for ur next post

saurav said...

Bangalore is the most beautiful city in India......

Vasu the terrible said...

I think you need to chill a bit.. Bangalore has a long history of trade going upto Kempe Gowda. Also Its not as much importance what migratory IT birds talk, what is important are how the indegenous people feel.

Relax and dont give much weightage for these loud mouths..

and one more thing. I dont plagerise.

:)

vasu

Archana Ramesh said...

Raju,
Clearly, we've been outnumbered! :(

Avik,
It sure is....for me and for you :)

Archana Ramesh said...

Vasu,
Chill? I was actually ignoring all these things all this while....but Bangalore is stupid? I wish I had a bat in my hands....sad that I couldnt find a bat nor a person to hit upon :( :((
Abt 5.someone....I did read "erotica, brahminism and 5.someone" and I bought the book only after that. As I said, I was on laughter therapy all through my flight.

Archana Ramesh said...

Sheesh..
Mooh tod jawaab!! Thats very sensible :) :D

Jagan said...

The prob is most of the people (the huge of number of IT engg.) living in Bangalore are from other states .And everyone loves their home city .. overlook the problems out in their city .Guess its just natural .NO tension.

Archana Ramesh said...

Jagan,
Thats exactly what I was trying to say.... Its completely 'ok' if they point out that their hometown are much better and other things as such...
But Bangalore 'sucks'? Kannada a third class language?? Thats way out of LOC!!

Jo said...

I like Bangalore to spend out the weekends. The city is has a lot of young energy, but not the city outskirts. I saw the 'real' face of Bangalore when I went out of the city limits. It was so shocking. But still it is a dream place for everyone. Getting a job in an MNC at Bangalore is everyone's dream. And the pubs, the climate etc makes it cool. But as Jagan said everyone loves their hometown. There is no place like home! :-)

Vivhyd said...

whoever told these stmts? .. well havent been to blore lately.. but it shdnt be this bad.. used to like blore when I visited some yrs back.. well whoever is telling these are the ones responsible for the stuff gng on there.. every place has its good things and bad.. like it or leave it.. :) .. good one archana..

Archana Ramesh said...

Jo,
Shocking? Which places did you visit when you were here?


Viv,
Shouldnt be this bad? It isnt as bad as explained... "well whoever is telling these are the ones responsible for the stuff gng on there" ---> 100% sachchi :)

Archana Ramesh said...

Smyts,
"And yes if people hated Bangalore so much, they are most welcome to get the hell outta there and it would be great if they can shut up as they leave!!!" -- This, I couldnt agree more!!
"Only Indians rant about the place they take shelter from. If they are in India they speak utter crap about places praising their own states and cities or if they are out of India, they condemn India as a whole about communal riots, pollution,corruption,traffic etc etc.," -- I somehow dont entirely agree on this
"I would surely like to crown the person who branded kannada is third class as the world's first class moron of all times" -- this was more due to 'her' attitude.....nice naming!! sakkaththaagide hesaru :D

Jo said...

I don't remember the place, but one of my friends were residing there. At the time I visited a huge apartment complex were coming up. I guess its not so far from Koramangala.

Adaengappa !! said...

Jaasthi tension thogo beda...Nam city bage nammage gothu !!

Relax maadi !!

Unknown said...

Bangalore rocks. Bangalore - I love the place warts and all. Bangalore is pretty cosmopolitan. The weather is wonderful. I could go on and on. Wrote about my love for the city sometime back on my blog (http://shirin.blog-city.com).

My love affair with Bangalore started when I was a kid visiting here on holiday and my dream was to settle in Bangalore. My dream has come true. And my adopted home is heaven. Thank God for Bangalore.

Yes, the city has grown too fast too soon. Hopefully it will emerge bigger and better and retain the unique Bangalore flavour.

Arun said...

Hey, suggest them to go back.. :)

Of late, I have been encouraging people who think of leaving Bangalore or who are worried of the infrastucture to move elsewhere. Good for everyone, the ones who leave as well as the ones who stay back :)

Art said...

good post Archana...
Actaully when ever this comes up even among a few people.. who start complaining about blore.. i ask them "Who asked u to come here.. If u feel there s a better place, then do get out from the city... we would be more than happy to be in our place without people passing disgusting comments...." Blore today is one of the most thought of cities for settling down... And What ever anyone says Blore Rocks!!! It is a mixture of Modern and Traditional India... :)

Shuuro said...

I completely agree with Smyts, she made excellent points.

Home is a home, good or bad and none can replace it. I wonder those people professing their city's greatness or whatever, how many indian cities have you visited and how honest were you in your observations?

I'm from Hyderabad and many of my friends who had visited Bangalore and Chennai said my city is much cleaner, greener and great but those friends who had visited Delhi or Mumbai said Hyderabad is crap! can people here be so honest with their views? i guess not because many among us are petty minded.

Archana Ramesh said...

People,
This post came up solely for the reason cos the topic kind of hurt me....and why not? when so much is being complained about...
and almost all comments meant the same ....so thats good news :D