Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A day after Independence day

The Rising - would have been perfect to watch it on the 15th of August. Did'nt plan it well before so missed it by a day. Nevertheless, the feeling of watching a Hindi movie [specially if its a patriotic one] outside your country, is quite special. The start of the movie, the elephants, the trumphet and the song 'Mangal mangal' evokes a sense of pride with which I sat head-high for the first 15 minutes. Nothing special later on so I had to rest my head and sit comfortably. At the end of it, whatever took over me, I stood up again, for the last five minutes.
The movie: Between scenes, one takes a second or two to understand whats going on. Ketan Mehta, the director doesnt deliver much at all. Rani Mukherji isnt as special as one can expect her to be ..... she's got so little in the script!! Her wardrobe is unrealistic and soo out of place [she's the heroine...so her clothes are the best among all the other girls in the movie if not exhuberant] Amisha Patel is wonderful when she has her dead husband on her laps....God..she looks amazing!! So does Kiron Kher and the gora guy. Finally, Aamir Khan!! I looovvveee his present hair style...not the one in the movie but the one after that. The guy doesnt look like he is 40! If you'd go to watch the movie then it 60% should be because of Aamir's performance and his dedication towards the movie. 40% for everything else.
Now, is Nandos in UK an Indian Restaurant? Somene recommended Nandos so much for the delicious 'INDIAN' food they make. Now I entered this restaurant right after the movie to fuel my hungry stomach. There's a lot of warmth and coziness inside. Dark-wood furnitures to give it a nice English countryside feeling. I look at the menu and search for familiar words like tikka/kadai or something...but then I discover its a Portuguese restaurant. Its not nice to walk out on the restaurant so I had to sit and eat the food available there and actually, its not bad!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps the expectations were too high... esp since the movie took close to 4 years in the making. But all in all the movie was much better than the usual fare dished out in this genre.. The rhetoric was subdued plus the chemistry b/w Mangal Pandey and the Gora was something..

And talkin of expectations.. even I made it a point to watch it on the day of its release.. :D

Archana Ramesh said...

Sheesh,
I agree....the storyline too doesnt uphold Mangal Pandey as much. What was a song like 'O rasiya' with lots of modern moves doing in film like Mangal Pandey?

Sumit,
No expectations I must say...I had seen the trailers just maybe twice. I agree that its better than all the crap thrown out these days but it just isnt good enough.

Raju PP said...

well, im getting all negative reviews for the film n now i am damn sure tat i wont go to the theatre to watch it. But, whats more disappointing for me is the music by ARR :(. He has seriously let-down all his fans :(

Art said...

I would like to watch it.... Coz Aamir Khan is in... :)

TJ said...

I too had have a perspective on The Rising. Visit my blog. And after the movie in canary wharf, i went straight back to eastham desi restaurant, i was damn hungry :)

ada-paavi!!!! said...

i will watch itonce ticket rates decrease! 150 bucks is way too much for a hindi movie

Jo said...

Hey, they say that the movie is a typical Bollywood masala movie. Is that true? It is also said there was no such dancer lover of Mangal Pandey.

Archana Ramesh said...

Raju..
I think you should go watch this movie....kya pata...you may just have a different perspective...kidding. Go watch the movie for the sake of it :)

Art,
Exactly...

Archana Ramesh said...

tj,
I did...Indian restaurants in eastham are assumed to be good. Are they?

Vatsan,
150 bucks?? not worth it!

Jo,
Absolutely!! Its not just a masala..its a chutney, sambhar and everything else...