Friday, April 08, 2005

The rickshaw harassment

I had heard that auto rickshaw drivers in Bangalore can be unreasonably demanding towards the non-Bangaloreans and more importantly towards foreigners but I got to experience what it all was yesterday. I have to say that I didnot have the slightest idea of how worse the actual situation is. I was anything but helpless to use the public transport system which is a big nuisance as my car was out for a service. Me and my friend head towards ICFAI University somewhere in the afternoon when it was still raining. When we reach the destination, the rickshaw driver takes off without returning the change. We say ' Its alright. We cannot chase him anyways in the heavy rain'. After ICFAI, we continue towards IGNOU. Since we had to search for IGNOU in an unfamiliar area, we were charged an extra over the meter. We left for Commercial street for some shopping and contrary to everything that happened, this rickshaw guy who dropped us off did not ask for anything more than the actual price. Things had just started to happen..... we walk towards a rickshaw stand and asked a driver whether he would take us to Mahalakshmipuram. He charged us an indecent 150 INR which would otherwise cost us only out 50 INR....we chose to complain to the policeman who stood on the other side of the road. We walk towards him and he is walking away from us.

[PS : You are at an advantage if you know Kannada]

Me.....Helloooooo [trying to get his attention]
policeman...[gives a mysterious look at me]
Me.....[pointing towards the auto men] Allaaa,avarella alli mooru sala jaasthi charge madthaa yiddare, auto ge. Neevenu hogi kelodilva???
[They are charging me three times more of what they should..dont you question them at all???]
policeman......Aiyyo Maay-dum, avaranna yenu kelodu? Avarella dodda loafergalu. Neevu eekade iro auto galige hogi.
[Aiyyo Maay-dum, what do I ask them? They are all big loafers. You go to the other drivers]
Me......Adu nanage goththu! Avarige warn madodu athava fine haakodu alva???
[That I know. Why dont you warn them or fine them???]
policeman ..... Illi nodi Maay-dum. Nandu ardha bookke khaaliyagi hogide fine haaktha haaktha..
[Look at this Maay-dum, Half of my book is over fining them.....points towards his fine book]

I return back without doing anything about it...

4 comments:

Parth said...

I have heard similar stories about Chennai. It seems Bombay is the only decent place when it comes to rickshaws and taxis following the metered system

Tin Tin said...

Hi! Just Checking.
Read my Kissay@
http://kissay.rediffblogs.com

Arun said...

hmm... It is this callous attitude of cops that gives them a free run..

Chakra said...

I always thot that only Chennai auto drivers are rogues.